September 08, 2016
Bonus Content from #AnyGivenWednesday
Bill Simmons and Jay Glazer talk UFC, Boxing & More
Bonus Content from #AnyGivenWednesday
Bill Simmons and Jay Glazer talk UFC, Boxing & More
Conor McGregor says he has not retired from the Ultimate Fighting Championship – but has fallen out with the sport’s bosses over promotional work.
The 27 year old triggered speculation he was quitting on Tuesday when he tweeted: “I have decided to retire young. Thanks for the cheese.”
UFC president Dana White then revealed McGregor would not be fighting Nate Diaz on the UFC 200 card on 9 July.
But in a statement issued on Thursday, McGregor said: “I am not retired.”
White claimed McGregor was withdrawn from the card for refusing to fly to Las Vegas for a news conference and promotional photos.
In his statement, Ireland’s McGregor said he was being asked to do too much promotional work by the UFC and was not able to concentrate on his training.
“I am paid to fight. I am not yet paid to promote. I have become lost in the game of promotion and forgot about the art of fighting,” he said.
“There comes a time when you need to stop handing out flyers and get back to the damn shop.”
McGregor also blamed his heavy promotional workload for his loss in his last fight, when Diaz became the first man to beat him in UFC.
He said he had asked for leeway when promoting UFC 200 to “train and focus – but it was denied”.
And he explained that his “retirement” tweet from earlier in the week was his way of generating promotion.
He added: “I must isolate myself now. I am facing a taller, longer and heavier man. I need to prepare correctly this time. I can not dance for you this time. It is time for the other monkeys to dance.
“I am still ready to go for UFC 200. I will offer, like I already did, to fly to New York for the big press conference that was scheduled, and then I will go back into training. With no distractions.
“If this is not enough or they feel I have not deserved to sit this promotion run out this one time, well then I don’t know what to say.”
UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor will not fight Nate Diaz at UFC 200 on July 9 in Las Vegas. Whether he will fight again period remains a question.
UFC president Dana White announced Tuesday night on SportsCenter that the promotion has pulled McGregor from the main event at UFC 200, due to the Irishman’s unwillingness to fly to Las Vegas and participate in mandatory promotional activities.
The news came hours after McGregor sent the MMA world into chaos by tweeting that he has decided to retire young.
I have decided to retire young.
Thanks for the cheese.
Catch ya's later.
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) April 19, 2016
White, meanwhile, said he had been in communication with McGregor’s management throughout Tuesday. He said he could not speak on McGregor’s future, other than his status at UFC 200.
“We pulled Conor McGregor from UFC 200 and we’re working on other fights right now,” White said. “Conor did not want to come to Las Vegas and film the commercial and be a part of the marketing. He’s in Iceland training.
“Is Conor retiring? Only he can answer that question. I don’t know.”
White went on to say the UFC still has a “good relationship” with McGregor (19-3) and that he “respects Conor as a fighter” but added that promotional obligations are mandatory.
The UFC has faced a similar situation before.
Nick Diaz, Nate Diaz’s older brother, was pulled from a title fight against Georges St-Pierre in 2011 after he skipped a news conference. Ironically, Nick Diaz was eventually re-added to the card and ended up headlining it against BJ Penn when St-Pierre pulled out with an injury.
Junior Dos Santos put on a masterful, five round clinic to batter Ben Rothwell over 25 minutes to win a lopsided unanimous decision to cap off the UFC’s first trip to Croatia.
It was a must win situation for Junior Dos Santos after suffering a loss to Alistair Overeem in his last fight but now the former champion can reclaim his spot in the top five and begin stalking a title shot again in the future.
While Junior Dos Santos certainly harnesses one punch finishing power in his hands, it was his speed and footwork that put him in a position to not only win but virtually pitch a shutout over the No. 4 ranked fighter in the world at heavyweight.
Recognizing the power Rothwell possesses, Junior Dos Santos circled and stayed on the outside at all times throughout the first round while peppering away with body shots and quick stinging jabs.
Rothwell stalked the former champion across the Octagon while constantly looking to slam home a knockout shot to put a stop to the fight.
While Rothwell landed with power, it was Junior Dos Santos’ quickness that continued to win him the exchanges in the early going as he got in and got out before taking too much damage.
Junior Dos Santos continued to pop shot Rothwell in the second round with straight punches that opened a cut over the Wisconsin native’s right eye.
Junior Dos Santos’ confidence roared as the minutes ticked away and with a matter of seconds left in the round, he unleashed a vicious right hand that hurt Rothwell before landing a front kick that put the big heavyweight on the ground.
The horn sounded before Junior Dos Santos could follow up, but it was clear that the former heavyweight champion was surging after the first 10 minutes.
Junior Dos Santos continued his assault in the third round with constant movement to keep Rothwell guessing before cracking the No. 4 ranked fighter with quick punches to the body and head before circling away again.
— FOX Sports: UFC (@UFCONFOX) April 10, 2016
It was clear Junior Dos Santos was landing the better shots and he finally planted a big left hand that wobbled Rothwell on the feet. If he was truly hurt, Rothwell refused to show it after a moment as he regained his balance and went right back after Junior Dos Santos in the center of the Octagon.
Rothwell aggressively lunged at Junior Dos Santos again and again, but the Brazilian was masterful at backing up just enough to land a counter shot and turn away from the cage.
As the fifth and final round got underway it was clear Junior Dos Santos was up big on the scorecards, but he didn’t turn defensive in an attempt to run out time on the clock.
Junior Dos Santos was surgical with punches to the body and head over and over again while Rothwell simply couldn’t catch up to him on the feet.
As the round wore on, Rothwell’s face was painted red with blood as the punishment mounted and Dos Santos put on a clinic over five rounds. In the end, Junior Dos Santos out landed Rothwell 157-78 in total strikes through 25 minutes in the cage together.
The judges all agreed and returned unanimous 50-45 scores to give Junior Dos Santos the victory while Rothwell faces defeat for the first time in five fights.
Junior Dos Santos looked better than ever while bouncing back from one of the most devastating setbacks in his career after suffering a knockout to Alistair Overeem in his last fight.
This time around, Dos Santos was very smart with his strategy to stick and move constantly over five rounds and Rothwell simply couldn’t catch up with him.
With the win, Dos Santos now positions himself back into the top five of the heavyweight division and considering he holds wins over both champion Fabricio Werdum and top contender Stipe Miocic, he can’t be too far away from title contention again.
As for Rothwell, there’s no shame in losing to someone like Dos Santos but it’s still a nasty pill to swallow considering the momentum he built in his last four fights. This setback will certainly derail Rothwell’s plans to fight for the title in 2016 but considering his desire to stay active, there’s a good chance he’ll be back this summer to try and reclaim his spot amongst the best heavyweight fighters in the world.
UFC women’s bantamweight champion Miesha Tate will defend her title at UFC 200 in July; it just won’t be against Ronda Rousey or Holly Holm.
The UFC decided against giving Holm, who lost the title to Tate in March, an immediate rematch, and it seems like Rousey is going to stick to her original plan of not returning until November or December.
So, the fighter that Tate will face is Amanda Nunes.
JON JONES UNLEASHING FURY: Jon Jones must have built up some serious rage after being in jail for 3 days … and hours after he was released, he took it all out on his mitt guy.
The UFC superstar — who fights Daniel Cormier in less than a month — wasted no time getting back in the gym … and you can tell from the video, he’s angry.
“Won’t let nothing disturb my peace. Right back to work.. Round five out of seven.
Them Ramen noodles got me feeling right,” Jones added in the caption.
If this is peace, what’s war gonna look like?
Disappointed UFC issues statement: Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) was “disappointed” to learn that former light heavyweight champion Jon Jones could not keep himself out of the headlines just a few weeks ahead of his UFC 197 pay-per-view (PPV) title fight, especially considering he was recently taken off disciplinary suspension for last year’s hit-and-run.
That’s according to the statement UFC released on Thursday (March 31, 2016), just a few hours after “Bones” was scheduled to be released from county jail, a place he spent the past couple of days after violating terms of his existing probation
UFC respects the decision made today by Judge Michael E. Martinez in New Mexico Second Judicial District Court regarding the probation terms of the case involving Jon Jones.
The organization was disappointed to learn that Jones was cited for several traffic offenses last week, as well as concerned by the nature and tone of portions of the conversation between Jones and the citing officer.
Still, UFC respects Jones’ right to contest those traffic citations in court and receive a fair hearing on the matter.
Jones’ scheduled bout on April 23 will proceed as planned, however, Jones understands that the UFC expects him to fully cooperate with the terms of his probation as set forth by Judge Martinez.
Jones had a small meltdown during last week’s traffic stop.
Hopefully, Jones and Co. can put this mess in the rear-view mirror in just a few short weeks. “Bones” has a chance to reclaim his 205-pound title — and rid himself of Daniel Cormier in the process — on April 23, 2016 inside MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Conor McGregor vs Nate Diaz rematch scheduled: A welterweight rematch between Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz will officially headline UFC 200 on July 9 in Las Vegas.
UFC Tonight announced the official booking on Wednesday, and UFC officials have confirmed to ESPN. The fight will be contested at 170 pounds and will take place inside the newly built T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
McGregor (19-3) remains the UFC’s official 145-pound featherweight champion. He won that title by defeating Jose Aldo in a 13-second knockout in December. With McGregor accepting his second consecutive fight outside the weight class, the UFC has booked an interim title fight between Aldo (25-2) and Frankie Edgar (20-4-1), which also will take place at UFC 200.
McGregor, 27, suffered the first loss of his UFC career to Diaz (19-10) earlier this month at UFC 196. Diaz submitted McGregor via rear-naked choke in the second round.
UFC president Dana White, appearing on Wednesday’s edition of SportsCenter, explained how the rematch came together, saying he and UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta met with McGregor after UFC 196 to discuss what was next for him.
“He was obsessed — obsessed with fighting Nate Diaz again,” White said. “Obviously, Lorenzo and I tried to argue with him and said, ‘Let’s go back to 145 (pounds) and defend your title. Or if you really want the Diaz fight that bad, do it at 155 (pounds).’ He wants the fight at 170.
“Even his coach tried to get him to get off the rematch and off the 170-pound fight,” White said, referring to John Kavanagh, “but it’s what he wanted.”
The original bout came under unique circumstances. McGregor was originally scheduled to challenge 155-pound lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos, but that fight was scratched 11 days before, when dos Anjos withdrew with a broken foot. Diaz agreed to fill in on short notice, and the bout was made at 170 pounds.
Aldo, 29, has been asking for a rematch since losing to McGregor at UFC 194. Fighting out of Rio de Janeiro, Aldo had recorded seven title defenses before the loss.
The interim title fight is a rematch of a championship fight that took place at UFC 156 in February 2013. Aldo defeated Edgar via unanimous decision. Edgar, who is a former UFC lightweight champion, has earned a second shot at the title on the heels of a five-fight winning streak, including wins over BJ Penn, Urijah Faber and Chad Mendes.
According to White, the winner of the interim title fight between Aldo and Edgar will definitely face McGregor next.
“Win, lose or draw in this fight against Nate Diaz, (McGregor) will go in and fight either Jose or Frankie,” White said. “Whoever wins at UFC 200.”
Also confirmed for UFC 200 is the return of former heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez (13-2) against Travis Browne (18-3-1). Welterweight Johny Hendricks (17-4), also a former champion, will take on Kelvin Gastelum (11-2).
UFC Star Denies Drag Racing Charges: Former UFC champion Jon Jones is claiming his innocence despite being charged with drag racing in Albuquerque last week.
Police in the area said Jones had also been speeding at the time, but Jones says his actions had been misinterpreted and he was merely greeting fans.
Jones said in a statement on Monday, “I feel that police used a technicality to ticket me for drag racing, while I was simply revving my engine and acknowledging some of my local fans.
Nate Díaz Buries Hatchet: Talk about dodging a bullet … Justin Bieber has made peace with the man who wanted to slap the blonde off his head, Nate Diaz — and to prove they’re cool, they took a selfie together.
Bieber and Diaz came face to face at JB’s concert after-party at Warwick nightclub in Hollywood late Wednesday night.
It was an interesting situation considering Diaz recently fantasized about delivering a Stockton Slap to Justin’s head … after Bieber criticized his fighting style on social media.
But last night it was all love … no violence … and Diaz tweeted, “All good doe 100.”
Close call tho …