Live Online News: Conor McGregor will not fight Nate Diaz at UFC 200 on July 9 in Las Vegas. Whether he will fight again period remains a question.
April 20, 2016
Live Online News
UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor will not fight Nate Diaz at UFC 200 on July 9 in Las Vegas. Whether he will fight again period remains a question.
UFC president Dana White announced Tuesday night on SportsCenter that the promotion has pulled McGregor from the main event at UFC 200, due to the Irishman’s unwillingness to fly to Las Vegas and participate in mandatory promotional activities.
The news came hours after McGregor sent the MMA world into chaos by tweeting that he has decided to retire young.
I have decided to retire young.
Thanks for the cheese.
Catch ya's later.
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) April 19, 2016
White, meanwhile, said he had been in communication with McGregor’s management throughout Tuesday. He said he could not speak on McGregor’s future, other than his status at UFC 200.
“We pulled Conor McGregor from UFC 200 and we’re working on other fights right now,” White said. “Conor did not want to come to Las Vegas and film the commercial and be a part of the marketing. He’s in Iceland training.
“Is Conor retiring? Only he can answer that question. I don’t know.”
White went on to say the UFC still has a “good relationship” with McGregor (19-3) and that he “respects Conor as a fighter” but added that promotional obligations are mandatory.
The UFC has faced a similar situation before.
Nick Diaz, Nate Diaz’s older brother, was pulled from a title fight against Georges St-Pierre in 2011 after he skipped a news conference. Ironically, Nick Diaz was eventually re-added to the card and ended up headlining it against BJ Penn when St-Pierre pulled out with an injury.